Welcome to the Town of New Market, Maryland
Since its humble beginnings more than 200 years ago, one thing remains the same about historic New Market, Maryland… It’s the one place you will always feel welcome.
New Market, Maryland is the colonial rest stop that hasn’t lost her historical perspective after all these years. And yet her eye is fixed on tomorrow’s horizons of balanced growth and continued harmony with the natural community landscape.
Christmas in New Market is on its Way
New Market Named as Main Street Maryland Affiliate
Designation will assist revitalization and economic development in town
New Market, Md. (December 19, 2016) – The Maryland Department of Housing and Community Development has approved New Market’s application for the Main Street Affiliate program. By becoming a Main Street Affiliate, New Market will work with the department to develop a revitalization plan to strengthen the Frederick County town’s traditional downtown business district using the principles, guidelines and technical assistance of the Main Street Maryland program.
The affiliate program assists communities that are trying to create a downtown revitalization strategy, are in the early stages of applying for a Main Street Maryland designation, or that may not be eligible for the designation but want to use the Main Street approach to address local housing and community development challenges. The foundation of the Main Street approach is based on four points for redevelopment and revitalization endorsed by the National Main Street Center and an additional fifth point created by Main Street Maryland to address sustainability and environmental impact:
- Economic Vitality to strengthen the district’s existing economic base while finding ways to expand it to meet new opportunities and challenges from outlying development.
- Design to enhance the physical appearance of the commercial district by rehabilitating historic buildings, encouraging supportive new construction, developing sensitive design management systems and long-term planning.
- Promotion to market the traditional commercial district’s assets to customers, potential investors, new businesses, local citizens and visitors.
- Organization to build consensus and cooperation among the many groups and individuals who have a role in the revitalization process.
- Clean, Safe and Green to enhance the neighborhood’s perception through smart growth and sustainability principles.
New Market has been a center of retail and a tourist destination and was well-known for its events and festivals, such as “New Market Days.” The second annual “Christmas in New Market” was recently held on December 9th and 10th, and attracted sizeable crowds.
“It was great to see so many people visiting, lining the street to see the Christmas Parade” said Mayor Winslow Burhans. “They really enjoyed the warm, cozy feeling of the historic district and the interesting shops you just don’t find elsewhere. It’s a very friendly, no-hype atmosphere.”
Joining the Main Street Affiliate Program is only one element in New Market’s revitalization effort. Thanks to the State Highway Administration’s Streetscape Program, new street lights, sidewalks, street plantings, and newly paved road improve the Main Street experience for businesses, customers, and residents alike. The town has also been designated a Sustainable Community by the state of Maryland so residents and businesses can apply for community improvements grants. The town also appreciates the Maryland Department of Housing and Community Development guidance, and looks forward to working them on marketing and loan programs.
Applications to participate in the affiliate program are accepted on a rolling basis.
Visit http://bit.ly/MainStMD for an application and to learn more about the benefits of the Main Street Affiliate program.
For more information, call Maria Dalton at (301) 865-5544.