Town of New Market | Permitting Toolbox
You may be considering adding a fence, deck, shed or some other structure or improvement. To aid you in this effort, we have outlined below the proper procedures for requesting these additions/improvements. Any improvements involving new structures outdoors, or plumbing, electrical, or structural changes indoors, will require a permit. Remember, no improvements can begin until the following approvals have been processed.
- Apply for and receive approval with your Homeowner’s Association (if applicable).
- Apply for a permit with the Town of New Market. There is a $50.00 application fee. Applications can be downloaded from the town website or picked up in the Town Office located at 39 West Main Street. Applications should be returned to the Town Office. It is very important that you include your HOA approval letter and provide diagrams, site plans, and/or photos with your application.
- Your application will be reviewed by the Zoning Administrator to ensure that the request meets Town ordinances.
- If your application is approved you will be notified by the Town Office. You may then either pick up your signed approval or have it mailed to you.
- For some projects, your signed application will have to be taken to Frederick County to obtain County permits. You will need to contact the County to determine their procedures (301.600.1134).
- If your project requires a County permit, you will need to notify the Town Office with the AP# that you receive from the County in order for the Town to sign off on the County’s computerized system.
Plan your projects accordingly…this process takes a minimum of 15 days if the County is involved.
We hope that this information will help you with your projects. Please call our office at 301.865.5544 with questions or concerns.