Town of New Market | Permitting Toolbox
You may be considering adding a fence, deck, shed or some other structure or improvement. To aid you in this effort, we have outlined below the proper procedures for requesting these additions/improvements. Any improvements involving new structures outdoors, or plumbing, electrical, or structural changes indoors, will require a permit. Remember, no improvements can begin until the following approvals have been processed.
- Apply for and receive approval with your Homeowner’s Association (if applicable).
- Apply for a permit with the Town of New Market. There is an application fee. Please see Resolution 2017-01 by clicking here. To download the application please click the General Permit or stop by Town Hall located at 39 West Main Street to pick up a copy. Applications should be returned to Town Hall along with the fee. It is very important that you include your HOA approval letter and provide diagrams, site plans, and/or photos with your application.
- Your application will be reviewed by the Zoning Administrator to ensure that the request meets Town ordinances.
- If your application is approved you will be notified by the Town. You may then either pick up your signed approval or have it emailed to you.
- For some projects, your signed application will have to be taken to Frederick County to obtain County permits. You will need to contact the County to determine their procedures (301.600.1134).
- If your project requires a County permit, you will need to notify the Town Office with the AP# that you receive from the County in order for the Town to sign off on the County’s computerized system.
Plan your projects accordingly…this process takes a minimum of 15 days if the County is involved.
We hope that this information will help you with your projects. Please call our office at 301.865.5544 with questions or concerns.