Discover New Market and Win Prizes!
Go on a socially distant scavenger hunt, explore everything New Market has to offer, and win a $50 gift card to a local business. Follow the clues below, take a photo when you find the answer, and post them on Facebook with the hashtag #NewMarketScavengerHunt! Discover more using our interactive tours.
Follow these clues to find:
- Historic District: (Founder’s Inn, 51 W Main Street)
This sign that can be “found” on a historic home on Main Street originally belonged to one of the town’s original founders, William Plummer.
- Old National Park Mile Marker
This historic marker, directly opposite the town’s community park on Main Street, harkens back to a time when this was a trade route developing between Frederick and Baltimore. The road was referred to fondly as the Gateway to the West. New Market developed as a much-needed stopping point along this route, and many of the structures along this route were originally built to provide services to weary travelers.
- NMP Winery & Nicholas Hall Farm
This historic farm was home to one of New Market’s founders, Nicholas Hall. Many of the buildings remain intact or restored. Can you find the early 1900s bank barn?
- 5 W Main Cafe
This low structure in front allowed early visitors to step up to or disembark from their stagecoaches gracefully to avoid being “roasted” by their friends. Share a photo to capture the color!
- New Community Park Playground
Completed this year courtesy of a State Community Parks and Playgrounds Program grant, take a picture to show us how many colorful structures there are in New Market’s outdoor play area for children.
- Fit2 Shine (Lotus)
Inside, you’ll find a large multicolored version of a flower which symbolizes resilience and enlightenment, two ideas that thrive at this studio. Show us that flower.
- KAT Cafe
This cozy cafe offers a brand new way to adopt. Meet your next furry friend by appointment or just say hi through the window. Snap and share a picture of the KAT Cafe sign or of a furry friend you spotted in the window.
- Smith Tavern Antiques
The Tavern’s large front porch features a large sign that tells visitors when the building was built. Can you find and share a photo of the date?
- The Village Potter
Things really “heat up” in this structure located behind the shop from which beautiful handcrafted pottery emerges.
- The Strawberry Inn
Originally built in 1837, a descendant of Plummer family (so important to the founding of New Market) briefly stayed in this antebellum-era home while attending a jousting tournament. Now, this home is available to guests via Airbnb. Capture the inn’s historic charm by photographing the front porch bench.
Official Rules and Disclaimers
By participating in New Market’s Scavenger Hunt contest you, confirm acceptance of these rules.
- NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. A PURCHASE DOES NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING.
- TIME FRAME: This contest will run from 12:00PM ET March 15 2021 to 12:00PM ET on April 15 2021.
- HOW TO ENTER AND WIN:
- The contest clues will be posted on the town website at http://www.townofnewmarket.org
- Prospective winners will participate in some or all tasks/activities detailed in New Market’s Scavenger Hunt and upload one corresponding image for each completed scavenger hunt item before the deadline
- Prizes will be awarded, by the town events committee, to the first 3 registered participants to post correct answers to all the clues.
- Prizes will be a gift card, valued at $50.00, from a town business
- Prizes will be announced within 3 days on the contest deadline
- New Market, Maryland reserves the right to determine valid entries and to exclude partial entries. You agree to indemnify and hold harmless The Town of New Market, Maryland (Sponsor), its agents and employees from any claim or proceeding resulting from your entry.
- ELIGIBILITY: The Contest open to individuals 18 years of age or older as of December 1, 2020. This contest is open to residents of the U.S. Employees of The Town of New Market, Maryland its respective affiliates, subsidiaries, dealers or retailers, advertising, production and promotion agencies, the independent judging organization, and the immediate families and/or members of the same household of each are not eligible. All federal, state, and local laws and regulations apply.
- PRIZE: No more than one prize, will be awarded per person. Acceptance of prize constitutes permission (except where prohibited) to use winner’s name, hometown, and likeness for purposes of advertising, promotion, and publicity without additional compensation. Winners will be notified by Facebook messenger and instructed where to pick-up their prize. Winners may be required to provide name, address, email address, phone number, and other information in order to fulfill the award.
- RIGHTS: By participating in this Contest, each entrant grants the Sponsor a non-exclusive, irrevocable, world-wide right to reproduce, and modify, submitted photographs in any form or media without limitation. The Sponsor’s license shall include the right to use submissions in Contest-related content in The Town of New Market, Maryland and on the town website http://www.townofnewmarket.org, in digital archives, in e-mails and in promotions related to this Contest and/or similar future contests, and compendiums (in any media) of contest submissions and/or winners. The entrant grants such license without expectation of compensation of any kind and accepts the conditions stated in these Official Rules, agrees to be bound by the decisions of the judges and warrants that she/he is eligible to participate in this Contest. By accepting prize, winner agrees to release Sponsor, its directors, employees, officers, and agents, including without limitation, its advertising and promotion agencies from any and all liability, loss or damages arising from or in connection with the awarding, receipt, and/or use or misuse of prize or participation in any prize-related activities.
- INFORMATION: The personal information you provide (e.g. name, email address, address, phone, etc.) may be saved in our database and used to contact you in the future with and/or email newsletters, or other correspondence. Your information may also be shared with the sponsoring partner for use in their online communications. Our goal is to provide you with information that is relevant and desirable to you, thus if you wish to opt-out, you may do so at any time by calling the town hall at 301 865-5544 to opt-out.]
- RISK: Participants in the Town of New Market Scavenger Hunt visit all sites and undertake all activities at their own risk. By participating, participants agree to release Sponsor, its directors, employees, officers, and agents, including without limitation, its advertising and promotion agencies, from any and all liability, loss, or damages arising from or in connection with the travel to, visitation of, and/or photography of scavenger hunt sites and/or any contest-related sites or activities. Sponsor assumes no responsibility for the activity or behavior of contest participants during the travel to, visitation of, and/or photography of scavenger hunt sites and/or any contest-related sites or activities.
- MISCELLANEOUS: Sponsor is not responsible for late, lost, stolen, damaged, garbled, incomplete, or misdirected entries or communications; for errors, omissions, interruptions, deletions, defects, or delays in operations or transmission of information, in each case whether arising by way of technical or other failures or malfunctions of computer hardware, software, communications devices, or transmission lines or data corruption, theft, destruction, unauthorized access to or alteration of entry materials, loss or otherwise. Sponsor disclaims any liability for damage to any computer system resulting from participation in, or accessing or downloading information in connection with, this Contest, and reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to modify, cancel, terminate or suspend this Contest should any virus, bug, technical failures, unauthorized human intervention or other causes beyond Sponsor’s control corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness or proper conduct of the Contest. In the event of such cancellation, termination or suspension, a notice will be posted. Sponsor reserves the right, at its sole discretion, modify or cancel this contest at any time and to disqualify any entrant if his or her participation affects the integrity of the Contest.
- CAUTION: ANY ATTEMPT BY AN ENTRANT TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE ANY WEB SITE OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THIS CONTEST IS A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS. SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, SPONSOR RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES FROM ANY SUCH ENTRANT TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW.
- WINNER’S LIST: Winners will be contacted via email or direct message during the last week of April 2021. Winners lists may be publicized in print or online promotional materials.
For questions on the contest contact the town at 301 865-5544 with questions.
Clues will be posted at: http://www.townofnewmarket.org/scavenger-hunt/